President Trump has been just as relentless in his belief that the 2020 Election was rigged for Joe Biden as the corporate media has been relentless in dismissing such claims as complete fiction without bothering to engage in any actual investigative journalism.
Trump has floated a number of theories, hoping that at least one of them will stick. This scattershot, all-of-the-above strategy is indicative of his desperation to maintain power which should surprise no one. But regardless of whether his motive is purely self-serving or not, his claims of election fraud are not nearly as unhinged as his liberal opposition thinks. As a progressive who puts People before Party, I cannot sit by and ignore this reality.
FACT #1: VOTING MACHINES ARE UNRELIABLE
If you’re a Biden-supporter who still thinks Barack Obama was like, the greatest President ever, then it’s a pretty safe bet that you find John Oliver to be a trustworthy liberal commentator. While I personally stopped watching his show after he repeated CIA talking points on Venezuela, disingenuously smeared Jill Stein, and peddled Russiagate propaganda, his talent for presenting an in-depth argument while also being entertaining is undeniable. His thorough and well-evidenced critique below regarding the vulnerabilities of U.S. voting machines must be watched. Take notes.
There were a variety of even mainstream news organizations repeatedly warning about the vulnerabilities of electronic-voting machines, specifically those from Election Systems & Software and Dominion Voting Systems, the latter of which Trump has especially chosen to target:
While Trump fails to cite references for his statistics, his rage toward Dominion doesn’t stem from nothing.
According to FEC records, out of all political donations coming from employees of Dominion Voting Systems (as of 11/12/20), nearly 100 percent of contributions were for Democratic candidates. Note that the amount of these donations isn’t what raises eyebrows, but rather the overwhelming bias of Dominion employees and the very clear conflict of interest in donating at all. The largest donation was also the only one specifically marked with “DNC Services Corp/Democratic National Committee” as the recipient.
As far as who Dominion employees, it’s worth nothing that one of the lobbyists they hired is Brian McKeon. According to The Washington Post, McKeon was “deputy director for voter protection for Obama for America, helping oversee the effort to recruit and organize attorneys to be poll watchers in the 2012 election”.
Nancy Pelosi’s former chief of staff Nadeam Elshami and Pat Toomey’s former chief of staff Brian Wild were also hired as lobbyists by Dominion. Note that Toomey is a Republican Senator from Pennsylvania, one of the handful of election-deciding swing states.
Here are some damning excerpts from the AP article posted in February 2020:
- Nearly 1 in 5 U.S. voters will cast ballots this year on devices that look and feel like the discredited paperless voting machines they once used, yet leave a paper record of the vote. But computer security experts are warning that these so-called ballot-marking devices still pose too much of a risk.
- The machines have been vigorously promoted by the trio of privately held voting equipment vendors that control 88 percent of the U.S. market and are nearly unregulated at the federal level. They are expected to be used by some 40 million eligible voters more than in the 2018 midterm elections.
- Some of the most popular such devices, from Election Systems & Software and Dominion Voting Systems, register votes in bar codes that the human eye can’t decipher. That means skilled hackers could alter outcomes without detection, gaming bar codes while keeping voters’ intended choices on the human-readable portion of the ballot printout, computer scientists have found.
- ES&S claims such tampering is “a practical impossibility.” Spokeswoman Katina Granger said the company’s ballot-marking machines’ accuracy and security “have been proven through thousands of hours of testing and tens of thousands of successful elections.” Dominion declined comment for this story.
- Even on machines that don’t use bar codes, voters may not notice if a hack or programming error mangles their choices. A University of Michigan study determined that only 7 percent of participants in a mock election notified poll workers when the names on their printed receipts didn’t match the candidates they voted for.
- “There are a huge number of reasons to reject today’s ballot-marking devices — except for limited use as assistive devices for those unable to mark a paper ballot themselves,” says Doug Jones, a University of Iowa election security expert.
- Northhampton County, on Pennsyvania’s eastern edge, became ground zero last November in the debate over ballot-marking decides when its newly purchased ES&S ExpressVote XLs failed in two different ways.
- First, a ballot programming error prevented votes cast for one of the three candidates in a judge’s race from registering in the bar codes used to count the vote. Only absentee ballot votes registered electronically for the candidate. A manual recount of the paper voting records settled the election.
- The other problem: miscalibrated touchscreens on about a third of the county’s 320 machines. One poll judge called the touchscreens “garbage”, and some voters who registered complaints in emails obtained by The Associated Press in a public records request said their votes were assigned to the wrong candidates, an error known as “vote-flipping.” Others worried about future malfunctions triggering long lines.
- A Pennsylvania County’s Election Day Nightmare Underscores Voting Machine Concerns” How “everything went wrong” in Northampton County
(New York Times, 11/3/2019)
- As Georgia rolls out new voting machines for 2020, worries about election security persist
(Washington Post, 12/23/2019)
- Voting-Machine Parts Made by Foreign Suppliers Stir Security Concerns
(Wall Street Journal, 12/16/19)
- Voting machine makers face questions from House lawmakers, but more remain
(NBC News, 1/9/20)
- Long lines, voting machine problems fuel investigations in U.S. state of Georgia
- The Market for Voting Machines Is Broken. This Company Has Thrived in It.
FACT #2: IT HAPPENED BEFORE
We should all know what went down in 2016, but here’s a quick recap:
The Democratic primary was rigged by the DNC against Bernie Sanders because during his tenure as President, Barack Obama nearly bankrupted the Democratic Party out of existence in addition to losing over 1,000 legislative seats. Hillary Clinton swooped in and bailed out the Party on a weekly allowance in exchange for the right to decide how it was spent as well as overall direction and strategy. Hillary Clinton for all intents and purposes bought the Democratic Party.
Aside from (1) Hillary secretly owning the Party, (2) conspiring with the corporate media, (3) colluding with Russia (yes, Russia) for “opposition research”, and (4) superdelegates giving Hillary a massive electoral advantage, the most blatant and indisputable act of election fraud during the (not) Democratic primary of 2016 occurred in New York. This part may be news to most of you, so take notes.
Not only did New York ban Independents from participating while also banning them from changing their registration to Democrat, but hundreds of thousands of Democratic voters who were registered were also selectively removed from the voter rolls. This widely (albeit briefly) reported act of mass election fraud was fully admitted by the NYC Board of Elections, which confessed to illegally purging over 200,000 voters. The exact number has suspiciously never been disclosed for presumable reasons.
Although it was the first time the total number of purged voters had been disclosed, the media was consumed with a different statistic: the crowd size at Trump’s inauguration. At the same time, a snowballing narrative that Russia had hacked the U.S. election would overshadow the indisputable fact that a domestic government agency had committed election fraud.
The lack of media attention was in stark contrast to the recent barrage of headlines about a right-wing push to purge eligible voters from the rolls. Much of the media ignored New York’s proven case of election fraud, perhaps because it had been facilitated by Democrats, and not by Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, a Republican with a national profile for championing stricter voter ID legislation.
Schneiderman’s lawsuit, which was initially launched by a coalition of three voter rights groups, never went to trial – the New York City Board of Elections didn’t even try to dispute the attorney general’s findings. “The New York City Board of Elections got caught with their hand in the cookie jar,” said Jose Perez, general counsel for one of the plaintiffs, Latino Justice PRLDEF.
In October of 2017, the city’s elections board quietly settled the lawsuit by admitting it broke federal and state election laws.“NYC purged 200,000 voters in 2016. It wasn’t a mistake.” – City and State New York (Nov 6, 2018)
One additional but important detail worth looking at is where those 200,000+ New Yorkers resided. Were the names evenly purged all across New York City? Of course not. What would be the point of doing that in a place as heavily-affluent as, say, Manhattan?
130,000 (65%) of those purged were residents of Brooklyn who submitted provisional ballots (heavily-leaning Bernie voters) accounting for 91,000 of the discounted votes. Brooklyn was where Bernie had one of the most massive rallies of his campaign the night before the primary:
Enthusiasm couldn’t have been any higher for Bernie (Brooklyn is also where Sanders was born and raised!) yet lost by only 57,369 votes. This helped Hillary sweep New York City (rigged) while Bernie dominated Upstate New York (no reports of rigging).
Overall, Hillary won the State of New York by 313,724 votes, 57.5% to Sanders 41.6%. If all 200,000+ illegally purged voters had gone for Bernie, he would have won New York with 51% of the vote. While that might seem improbable at first glance, remember that the NYC Board of Elections admitted to illegally purging votes. It would have been merely a mistake without the legal element of intent. So yes, specific votes were selected and chosen not be counted. Gee, I wonder what the criteria was?
Oh, and the NYC Board of Elections never faced any consequences.
If all that still isn’t convincing enough enough for you, Democratic Senator/Snake Elizabeth Warren, former DNC chair Donna Brazile, and Representative Tulsi Gabbard are all on record confirming that the Democratic Party rigged the 2016 primary. Even Joe Scarborough on Hillary-friendly MSNBC argued that the system was rigged.
FACT #3: DEMOCRATS REJECTED ELECTION INTEGRITY REFORM
Democrats cried foul after 2016, accepting the results while at the same time also alleging that Russian hackers had colluded with the Trump campaign to keep Hillary Clinton out of the White House. You’d think the Democrats would have jumped at the chance to reform our election system. They didn’t.
Representative Tulsi Gabbard proved it by introducing the Securing America’s Elections Act of 2019 (H.R. 1946). Tulsi saw a real opportunity to present measures that would ensure reliable elections in the the future. If it passed, great. If it didn’t, it would expose that the Democrats weren’t actually concerned. Knowing the rigging that took place in 2016 better than most, she called their bluff.
Her proposal required the following:
Voting systems for federal elections to produce paper ballots that the voter may inspect and verify before the vote is cast and counted. The bill also (1) required the paper ballot to be suitable for manual audits, (2) prescribed approved methods for such audits, and (3) directed the Department of Homeland Security and the Election Assistance Commission to report on the desirability of using open-source software in voting systems.
It was an objectively strong and reasonable bill that addressed Democratic concerns as well as American voters in general. Since the Dems held a significant majority in the House they could have passed Tulsi’s legislation with ease. Why did Speaker Nancy Pelosi refuse to even bring it up for a vote? Because if the vulnerabilities in our election system were actually addressed instead of used as a political talking point it would have made future elections more difficult, if not impossible, to rig. Would the Democratic Party really want that?
There was also ongoing spite against Tulsi Gabbard after she quit her DNC co-chair position to instead endorse and campaign for Bernie Sanders. Hillary Clinton took it personally, of course, as exposed by Wikileaks.
Was election fraud committed in 2020 to hand the Presidency to corrupt, corporate-bought warhawk Joe Biden? It’s impossible to answer that question with absolute certitude due to the inability to properly audit all electronic voting machines. However, the Democratic Party’s refusal to even vote on Tulsi Gabbard’s legislation which would have resolved that problem strongly suggests that this obstacle is of willful design. Tack on the Party’s election-rigging in the recent past and it becomes overwhelmingly rational to doubt the 2020 election results.
Since Trump has been the boy who cried wolf too many times, the majority of Americans cannot trust Trump’s word alone. Fair enough, but that alone is not a counter-argument to his election fraud claims. To entirely dismiss even the possibility that the 2020 election was fraudulent requires a grotesque level of bias, ignorance, stupidity, and/or intellectual laziness.
Because if we can’t trust our current election system (and there is significant evidence indicating that we shouldn’t) then our system requires emergency reform and an immediate overhaul of political leadership. We must move from a rigged system of elections to a one that is transparent, reliable, and auditable. Americans must aggressively demand election integrity that reflects majority preference or we must overthrow the U.S. Empire entirely so We The People can directly seize the reins of power. The longer we remain stagnant in our inaction the more fascism cements a growing ascendance.
This cannot be overstated.